JMP

HELP: Project with Uber drivers in London

Dear London Uber drivers,

My name is Jalal Pour and I'm a Master's student at the London School of Economics currently doing a project looking at the experiences of Uber drivers working in London. The aim of the research is to try understand the reasons behind why people opt to work for Uber, and what they think are the good/bad things about the platform. I think so far the voices of actual Uber drivers have been missing from the debates, and so my research aims to address this.

Participation would be completely anonymous and would involve being interviewed by me either in person or through Skype/email.

If you think you may be interested in taking part, or would like to know any further details, please get in touch: j.a.movaghary-pour@lse.ac.uk

Thanks,

Jalal

Good points - flexibility to work when you like, no set shifts, usually required by traiditional minicab firms. Log on and off as you please.

work where you like - local area, which you know best, central London where the earnings are potentially the highest, or airports with the chance of getting a good run into London, though there is a wait in the queue of a few hours, and the risk of getting a local job.

pay is usually prompt, and cashless - less of a security risk carrying cash around. All trips are recorded, and is transparent, you know exactly how much you earn on each trip.

opportunity to earn more during surges.

fair distribution of jobs, with the job going to the nearest available driver (though this is in doubt).

Bad points - communication with the office is via e-mail. There is no one to talk to as there is no phone number to talk to someone if there is a problem.

rating system, could lead you to deactivation if your rating becomes too low - controversial whether this is a fair system or not.

more drivers are joining than leaving

Thanks for your comments LUED. Would you be happy to answer some further questions if I messaged you?

On 27 April 2016 at 11:44 PM, LUED said:

Good points - flexibility to work when you like, no set shifts, usually required by traiditional minicab firms. Log on and off as you please.

work where you like - local area, which you know best, central London where the earnings are potentially the highest, or airports with the chance of getting a good run into London, though there is a wait in the queue of a few hours, and the risk of getting a local job.

pay is usually prompt, and cashless - less of a security risk carrying cash around. All trips are recorded, and is transparent, you know exactly how much you earn on each trip.

opportunity to earn more during surges.

fair distribution of jobs, with the job going to the nearest available driver (though this is in doubt).

Bad points - communication with the office is via e-mail. There is no one to talk to as there is no phone number to talk to someone if there is a problem.

rating system, could lead you to deactivation if your rating becomes too low - controversial whether this is a fair system or not.

more drivers are joining than leaving