wn7

Wigan & Leigh restrictions on trade.

Wigan council are one of the local authorities that form Gtr Manchester council. The Wigan licence is accepted by Uber who also say that drivers can work collecting rides within the Wigan area. However Uber state that Wigan rules don't allow for Uber signage on vehicles which is an annoyance to riders when working in Liverpool or Manchester looking out for their Uber. As a partner living in Wigan I would really like to be able to offer the public in Wigan the chance of a higher class of private hire service. As Uber partners we offer a fantastic service in clean cars with drivers who take pride in their appearance. Turn the app on in Wigan and nothing. No one knows we're here. Yesterday I drove from Leigh to Liverpool via Wigan town centre and the app pinged once, a rider visiting Wigan from Liverpool who merely tried on the off chance. I have asked people if they know about Uber? The response is they didn't know Uber exists in the borough. In addition Wigan state we cannot have livery on the car yet other firms can have their company name on the car some clearly breaking the regulations on signage. ( Wigan Private Hire Knowledge Regulations). This has clearly got to be a restriction on trade? How can Uber grow in Wigan without the facility to show a presence?  I have put my comments to the team in Manchester and I have to say I'm very disappointed with the response. Yes Uber may be meeting the Wigan governance but just like it is prepared to challenge TFL on English tests and challenges from Hackney carriages, they must be prepared to challenge councils on restrictions that harm the development of Uber. 

So Uber.How are you going to generate awareness of Uber in Wigan and other areas such as St Helens where we can work but no trade exists? Is it fair to charge 25% service charge and not market the service where you can legally operate? Uber is a higher class of private hire service that is much needed in Wigan so back us up and let the people know we exist. Maybe you could reduce the service charge for Wigan partners? No, I didn't think so!