Bready

Is it worth to join uber as a driver in Manchester?

Hy all! 

I was an uber driver in Budapest from the begining till the very end of the service. I was move to Manchester since the end of march this year, and i was wondering to became an uber driver again. But when i was read these comments here about the possible income, well, i don't know. 

So if anyone of you can help me, if it worth to join uber again, i would appreciate it. 

Most of the times i was driving only on workdays from the morning till 6-7pm at Budapest. What is the average income i may expect on the mentioned days here?

Thank you in advance. 

16 hours ago, Bready said:

Hy all! 

I was an uber driver in Budapest from the begining till the very end of the service. I was move to Manchester since the end of march this year, and i was wondering to became an uber driver again. But when i was read these comments here about the possible income, well, i don't know. 

So if anyone of you can help me, if it worth to join uber again, i would appreciate it. 

Most of the times i was driving only on workdays from the morning till 6-7pm at Budapest. What is the average income i may expect on the mentioned days here?

Thank you in advance. 

Realistically, £11 per hour would be most likely when averaged over time. Then minus possibly 100s of £s per week costs. 

Do you already possess a relevant Private Hire licence? 

Are you going to rent a car?

Yes £11+ in your hand. £11+ per hour is after Uber's 25% is deducted.

You will maybe be able to squeeze out a bit better average hourly takings, but not much more.

How will you manage passing a knowledge test if you have only been in the UK since March?

Maybe car finance? £200+ per month over 5 years? = £50+ per week.

Car insurance (special Hire and Reward insurance required by law.)

= £60+ per week.

Maintenance = £10+ per week.

Cleaning = £10+ per week.

Miscellaneous costs (PH Licence, road tax, bus lane fines, small accidents etc.) = £20 per week.

Eating/drinking at work £20?+ per week.

Diesel for 40 hours work = £60+.

£230 costs per week.

40 hours x £11 = £440 - £230 = 

£210 for 40 hours work.

. . . Then take off tax and national insurance.

Financing a car is the best option to save money as renting one is £180+ per week. Just risky in the event of being unwell at any point, you would not be able to pay the finance payments. Or if you get sick of the job etc. 

You are an experienced Uber driver in Hungary, I don't know how much different the laws and regulations and costs of driving is compared to the U.K?

You will know most of what I have pointed out. I have written this reply also with other people in mind, who have not driven with Uber before and may read this. It is a warning to those people.

Many thanks for this detailed reply, this is the answer is was waiting for. Compared the costs of driving for uber here and hungary, well, i have to say, that all the costs are the same kind, but not the same amount. We don't have to pay high insurance fees like here, even if it's a must have to drive for uber. We have to provide a professional driving licence like a taxi driver and the cars must have MOT every year. 

Followed up your deatiled answer, i think i will do something else, instead of uber here. 

4 hours ago, Bready said:

Many thanks for this detailed reply, this is the answer is was waiting for. Compared the costs of driving for uber here and hungary, well, i have to say, that all the costs are the same kind, but not the same amount. We don't have to pay high insurance fees like here, even if it's a must have to drive for uber. We have to provide a professional driving licence like a taxi driver and the cars must have MOT every year. 

Followed up your deatiled answer, i think i will do something else, instead of uber here. 

I don't mean to put you off. Just like to give an honest opinion of what driving with Uber in Manchester is like.

It is possible to earn a bit more than the above for those same hours, but not a whole lot more. You would have to push yourself all the time, be prepared to drive miles to pick ups. You would need to have a certain mindset. To pick people up for such little money per trip is disheartening.

Driving Uber, or for a private hire minicab firm in Manchester is more or less a last resort. Or for those who do not like to conform to the normality and formality of a regular permanent job. Also for those who are happy to drive a nice car, but earn little money and have a low quality of life.

A regular job driving for Tesco home delivery, Ocado, Argos etc would be a far better option.

. . . If you already possess a Private Hire licence it would be worth trying it out by renting a car first to see what you think. However, to go through the process of applying for a licence if you've not got one already, is not worth the bother.

How does Manchester being a 'second London' with much investment put into it, make Uber earnings any good? 

Increased population = increased drivers = less money.

Driving Private Hire in Manchester payed noticeably more money before Uber came along. 

Even drivers in the 80's and 90's in Manchester earned far more money than drivers do now. That was before huge investment was put into the city, before large scale immigration and population increase. The result of the above has forced Manchester's working class to share their collective 'wealth' with newcomers. Thus leaving Mancunians worse off.

Projects like the so-called Northern Powerhouse are a huge con. Of no benefit to ordinary people who see their earnings decrease, communities broken, congestion, pollution, stress. Green belt/brown belt built on. Increased crime, or seemingly so. Concrete jungle.

'Second London' and huge investment only benefits big business.

Manchester will lose much of what makes it a great place.

On 27/07/2017 at 0:30 AM, fullpower said:

If there is no growth how come the house prices has one of the biggest increase rate from UK?

Just asking...:(

Yes there is growth. House prices rising etc. But wages? No, they aren't growing. So, everything is more expensive. Harder to get on the property ladder. Harder to pay bills. Harder to save. Harder to live.

Where Uber/PH/taxi driving is concerned, the current situation is a disaster.

If you can tell me or anybody else how you think Manchester's population increase benefits ordinary Mancunians, let us know.

If you can tell me how Uber benefits anybody from Manchester who drives PH, black cab or Uber, let us know.